Antique Waterloo County Memorabilia & Historical Trinkets ranging from the early 1900's into the 1930's.
QR Code Link to This Post
All priced and detailed below:
A) One rare Rahn & Co. early 1900's Shoe Horn. Chrome Steel originally painted black and mostly worn off to chrome. On it it says: "THE HOME OF GOOD SHOES" "PHONE 399" - - WATERLOO, ONT.
Selling this for $20.00
B) One rare early 1900's Rahn & Co antique Button Shoe Hook with the inscription: "RAHN & CO." " THE HOME OF GOOD SHOES" "PHONE 399 WATERLOO". This was a delicate metal Button Hook, vintage tool to help tie your high button shoes back in the day.
Selling this for $18.00.
C) Two Antique 1920 - 1930's Employee Badge Number Pins of metal and soldered pin hooks behind.
- One is Waterloo MFG. Co. #471
- The other is Sunshine Co - Waterloo #482
By the 1920s the Sunshine Harvester Works of H.V. McKay in Australia was the largest implement factory in the southern hemisphere, covering 75 acres, and was one of the world's leading international agricultural industries thanks to its development of the world's first self-propelled harvester in 1924. At its peak, the enterprise employed nearly 3,000 workers.
In 1929 McKay and Toronto's Massey-Harris Co. along with the Waterloo Manufacturing Co. incorporated the Sunshine-Waterloo Company Ltd. with the intent of adapting McKay's self-propelled combine design for the North American market. In 1930, the newly formed company built a 285,000 sq. ft. plant in Waterloo, Ontario. In exchange McKay was granted the exclusive Australian distribution of Massey-Harris farm equipment.
During the Depression as grain harvesters were being phased out since farmers could not afford them, the company began to produce automotive stampings for cars. Waterloo Manufacturing withdrew from the joint venture in 1934.
In 1939 the company converted to the manufacture of war-related products including smoke bombs, shells, mines, grenades and gun mounts. During World War Two the Sunshine Waterloo Co. was a major producer for the war effort. During the war security was high at the plant due to the fact that it produced tank, airplane and truck parts, as well as ammunition, land mines, and various bombs.
Following the war, further market changes led to the company adding office products, stoves, shelving and lockers, as well as bicycles. Sunshine bicycles and tricycles were produced until 1954.
In 1955 the McKay family sold out to the newly formed agricultural implement conglomerate Massey-Ferguson which was a combination of the Canadian and American interests of Massey Harris and the British tractor firm of Harry Ferguson.
In 1961 the name of the Sunshine-Waterloo Co. was changed to Sunshine Office Equipment and the company concentrated solely on the manufacture of steel office equipment and storage lockers until the plant was sold in 1978.
Selling these two employee Pins For $15.00 each.
D) One Antique Brown Glass "The Globe Furniture Co. Limited, Waterloo Ont" Ashtray. "Seating & Furniture". In excellent shape. No cracks or chips. Circa late 1940's to early 1950's.
History (per Tom Graham Historian):
The company that first came to Waterloo in 1910 but was forced to close 58 years later. The Globe Furniture Co. one of the most sought-after manufacturers of wooden church furniture and displays around the world.
The company was known for its ornate and intricate church pews and altars that were carved from wood and delivered throughout Canada and as far away as South Africa. Globe also made school desks and seats, and the company also replaced the furniture destroyed in the 1916 parliament building fire in Ottawa.
Founded in Detroit, the company moved to Walkerville, Ont. in 1890. In 1910 Edward Seagram, Aloyes Bauer and John Letter brought the company to Waterloo. With the help of John Bahnsen -- a gifted cabinetmaker from Germany -- the company prospered, and in 1914 a modern, four-storey brick factory was built on Canbar Road with all new machinery. It was the largest factory in Waterloo at the time.
The company's strength was their ability to hire skilled carvers and sculptors from across Europe, including Germany and the British Isles, and soon their work became known around the world.
Despite its success, the company struggled to keep up with the times and the shift away from hand-carved wooden items. The company began to falter, and by 1968 the factory was closed after Globe went bankrupt.
Selling this ashtray for $30.00
E) Vintage "The Snider Flour Milling Co. Ltd". Mini Flat Screwdriver from the 1930-40's. In excellent shape.
Printed on the Screwdriver reads: "Seven Lilies Pastry Flour" "Do-More Feeds, Etc" St. Jacobs - Waterloo Elmira - 2193 , 2-2085 , Conestoga
Opened in 1852 in the hamlet of Musselman's Mills (now known as Conestoga) the Mill operated under the name Musselman's Mills until 1852, when it was renamed Conestoga, after the Conestoga River or the town of Conestoga in Lancaster County, Pa., from which county many of the pioneers had come.
David Musselman operated his mills until 1856 and then sold them to Henry Snider, who carried on the milling till his death in 1885.
His executors sold the mills to Menno Snider, who operated the flourmill until his own death in 1916. During his closing years he was assisted by his son Walter J. Snider, who succeeded to the property. Walter Snider afterward purchased the flour' mill at St. Jacobs from W. W. Snider and operated the two mills as the Snider Flour Milling Company, Limited. After his decease, his son Russell became head of the industries.
Selling this rare Screwdriver for $15.00
F) Antique $1.00 Trade Token Merchant Coin from "Jacob Uffelmann General Merchant" Waterloo, Ont in excellent condition. From the Early 1900's. On the reverse it says "Good for $1.00 in Merchandise".
Jacob Uffelman was born in Waterloo in 1860. At age 15 he apprenticed himself for four years to Theodore Bellinger who operated the Corner Store. Upon completion of his apprenticeship, Uffelman was employed with John Shuh and Company for five years. He left this company to go into business for himself in Breslau where he ran a general store for three years before selling out and moving to Elmira where he remained for four years.
In 1891 Uffelman purchased the store and stock of his former employer John Shuh and Company, and ten years later acquired the Ontario Seed Company. He turned his attention to the sauerkraut business in the 1920s, forming the Silverthreads Sauerkraut Company with buyers across the country.
In the 1895 election, Uffelman was first elected to town council. He again became an alderman in the 1902 and 1903 elections. As mayor in 1904, Uffelman led council in its decision to raise money to encourage the construction of a railway line from Waterloo to Wellesley. The following year, Uffelman oversaw the official opening of the Waterloo Public Library.
Following his term as mayor, Uffelman was appointed a justice of the peace
Selling this merchant Coin for $12.00
G) Antique Snyder's Shell Service Station Business card Advertising Stock from the 1930's. Laminated in decent shape. "101 King St. S. Waterloo". Phone 620
Selling this yellow Card for $8.00
H) One Antique Complete Solid wood and Chrome Ink Well Pen Holder. And One Inkwell insert piece. With "Globe Furniture Co. Ltd. Waterloo, Ont" one each Nickle Plated steel insert. These detailed Ink well pen holders are from the early 1900's. They are made from a solid piece of hardwood, and carved out to hold a Nickle plated steel insert complete with hinged lid. The secondary insert also includes a glass ink well that would hold the ink itself.
For the History see Letter "C) " above.
Selling this Wood encased Nickle Plated Steel and glass inkwell insert and spare steel insert with glass ink bay together for $75.00 total.
Or make me a fair offer for the whole lot.
(Additional pictures are available upon request).
Yes I can mail this too.